The Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW) (the PPIP Act) and Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) regulate the collection, use, security and disclosure of personal information that INSEARCH will hold about you. When you apply to INSEARCH, the application form and terms & conditions include a Privacy Statement containing information about how INSEARCH will handle your personal information, including:
- the purposes for which INSEARCH collects your personal information; and
- who INSEARCH may disclose your personal information to.
Your consent to the use of your personal information for specific purposes is obtained when you complete and sign an application form.
1. Your privacy is important to us and we observe the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) and the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (the PPIP Act).
2. INSEARCH needs your personal information to be able to perform its core functions, including the teaching and administration of our education programs, student admissions and administration, continuing educational development, invitations to events, and management of student academic progression to university.
3. Regardless of when or how the information is collected, your personal information may be used by INSEARCH and our controlling entity the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) or other authorised third party, for the purpose of assessing your application, establishing and administering your program of study, and for related purposes including:
- verifying your identity;
- consideration of any other application made by you to INSEARCH;
- customer relations including management of our relationship with you, student surveys, market research and development;
- if you have applied for study with a joint venture partner or other authorised education affiliate, we may also use your information for the purpose of Australian government reporting, and to obtain aggregate information for statistical or research purposes;
- compliance with legislative and regulatory requirements, include but are not limited to the Department of Immigration and Border Patrol, Department of Education, Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency, Department of Industry;
- our internal operations including student services and administration, record keeping, risk management, auditing purposes, training, file reviews and portfolio analysis;
- information technology systems development and testing;
- arrangements with authorised service providers in relation to our programs and services (for example, follow-up activity with prospective students, student enquiry management, IT service providers);
- to investigate, resolve and prevent complaints;
- conducting fraud assessments;
- reporting and data analytics, including for regulatory, management, statistical or research purposes.
4. We may also disclose your personal information for those purposes to the following organisations:
- our joint venture partners and education affiliates (for example, a university or other third party that we have contractual arrangements with);
- contractors and external advisers (for example, lawyers and auditors);
- any person acting on your behalf, including your legal advisers;
- government and other regulatory bodies, law enforcement bodies and courts;
- external dispute resolution bodies (for example, the Overseas Students Ombudsman?s Office)
5. INSEARCH does not disclose student personal information to Channel Partners and agents following a student's enrolment in an academic program or English course.
6. We may use information we receive from our affiliates to assist our staff in better identifying the courses and services that may be relevant to you, and for student administrative purposes.
7. Where we have disclosed your personal information to an authorised third party who stores or accesses your personal information overseas, INSEARCH will take all reasonable steps to ensure the entity to which the information is disclosed treats the information in a manner consistent with the APP?s.
- can request us to provide you access to any personal information we hold about you;
- can seek correction of personal information we hold about you;
- may complain about a breach of an Australian Privacy Principle and how we will deal with such a complaint.
9. You may request that we provide you with access to your personal information held by us in relation to your program of study by contacting INSEARCH's Privacy Officer.
10. All enquiries relating to Privacy may be directed by:
- email email@example.com
- in writing to: Privacy Officer, INSEARCH Limited, PO Box K1085, Haymarket NSW 1240; or
- telephone: 02 9218 8600 during normal business hours.